Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Selling Dreams

I know I'm not the only one tired of seeing the Everest College commercials and all the other educational commercials that boast of darn near instant employment after you graduate. I think that is a a crock of crap! Don't get me wrong, I think it is awesome for anyone to advance their career through education. Education is very powerful and is a vehicle for a successful future. BUT painting a picture that you'll have jobs knocking on your door as soon as you get a diploma is a SCAM!!

Another thing they don't tell you in those commercials is that the majority of that financial aid that you get "awarded" is something you'll have to "award" back to them in time. I was blessed to have the military pay for my education but for other students, financial aid was their only option. You could always tell when those refund checks were cashed because you would see a fellow student with the newest thing like shoes, a laptop, or even a car. I'll never forget hearing a used car lot asking students to spend their refund checks at their car lot. WTW?? For some, once they got that refund check, you didn't see them for the rest of the semester!! I wonder if someone told them that they have to pay this money back!! I was relieved once they stopped major credit card businesses from setting up shop in college student centers and coercing students into debt! 

Careers that I think are over-saturated are medical assistants, rappers ( I had to throw that one in there), urban clothing stores, music producers and a bunch of others I'm sure you can chime in on. I'm not trying to kill dreams!!! That's not my intention but we have to start researching careers especially in locations you plan to reside. Don't become a Dental assistance if you know you never plan to move away from that little town that has one dentist office!! C'mon, Son!!

This post stems from my everyday quest I'm having! I have been unemployed for 3 months now and it is becoming more and more difficult to find employment. I have acquired new skills just searching for jobs. Shoot, searching for jobs have become a job in itself! I get up at 8am, take a lunch break at 11am, and start searching again at 1pm!! They say in everything, there is a lesson to be learned. Well I've definitely learned one thing, humility! Having a degree and job experience doesn't guarantee anything! I was reading a forum a military spouse website and a person stated that they had three degrees and still couldn't find a job! Crazy, huh?

And now that they are cutting the military capacity, the unemployment rate is going to skyrocket and it's going to make it that much harder to find a job. The competition for jobs are already high! I applied for a Tax accountant position and found out that I was among 189 other candidates!! Are you serious??

All I can say is be smart in choosing your future! It's real out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment