Thursday, February 2, 2012

Rewind Button

"That was easy"
Do ya'll remember the Easy Button button by Staples?  Don't you wish it actually worked in real life? I think we have all made mistakes in the past or even currently and we wish there was a Rewind button. It doesn't even have to be a mistake but it's something we could have possibly done differently or better. It sucks how it is so easy to think of the best possible solutions AFTER the fact!

All that being said, we are human so it's OK to make mistakes! I have a horrible habit of beating myself up over decisions I make or have made. I can sit for hours and just think of how I could have done this or that. Why did I think this way and what persuaded me to do that? I remember having a phone interview for an important job I wanted SOOOO BAD and I got stuck on a question that I should have been able to answer with no problem! I knew when I hung up the phone that I had messed up on the opportunity of a lifetime! Ughh coulda , shoulda , woulda !!

Now look at the realistic side of things. We can't change the past, no matter how long we sit and meditate, hoping, and praying. LOL Granted some of the decisions we make are wrong, we learn tremendously from them. I think the biggest thing we can take from our decisions are learning more about ourselves. I remember reading a quote that said something to the effect that you learn who you really are when you are put into controversial situations. It is so true!!!



Learning who we really are is one way of minimizing regret.  When you truly know what you want out of live and how far you are willing to go, to me, a person should be proud of that. Alot of people focus more on the outcome instead of what is actually happening in the present. When you're proud of who you are and what you are doing, no matter the outcome you still have a sense of accomplishment. I guess it's the "Looking at the glass half full" effect.  My grandmother once told me that when you do something put your all into it, do it like you're doing it unto God, and at the end of the day if the outcome isn't what you wanted, you should be proud that you did the best you could!

Tools to learning yourself:
  • Journals-I think journals are awesome because it's a window showing how and what was going on in your life at a specific time.
  • Friends-Regardless of what some people say, the saying, "Birds of a feather flock together", is somewhat true. I'll say about 95% true! Look at your close friends. Do you approve of the majority of their actions?
  • Church- A good church has a way of convicting your heart in such a way that makes you reevaluate yourself. I'm not referring to a pastor who pin points you out and criticizes you! I'm talking about a church that uses the love of God! Love compels people to Christ.
  • Self-Assessments- I have been shocked by the results of self-assessments! LOL Self-assessments help you realize the strengths and weaknesses you have and how you can improve or maintain. Click on "Self-Assessments" to take a quick, free assessment.

2 comments:

  1. It is hard to learn yourself especially when you seem to be moving so fast. I know my life is so crazy at times, but I really want to take the time to make sure that I don't get lost in the mix. Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, thanks Kristina. You are so right, don't get lost in the mix. A couple of weeks ago I just had to stop dead in my tracks and pray! I found myself losing who I really was. God brought me back!

    ReplyDelete